Sunday, October 3, 2010

Going Organic

We've been slowly going organic here at my house. But moreso than organic, aka focusing on USDA labeled Organic, we've been trying to go for whole foods - less process. So instead of buying microwave popcorn, we've been popping our own in the microwave using bags and real kernels, shredding cheese not using "processed slices" etc - things like that.

Today, I read an article about the "Dirty Dozen". We do buy some things organic but CERTAINLY not the entire list.

Here is the article: What To Buy Organic ~ Parents' Magazine

Here is the "Dirty Dozen" with my comments.
The Dirty Dozen

These earn the distinction as the most contaminated by pesticides; buy organic when possible!

* Peaches - Never have!
* Apples - Have sometimes...will start
* Sweet bell peppers - Have sometimes...will start
* Celery - Never have
* Nectarines - Never have
* Strawberries - Sometimes...will do better
* Cherries - Never
* Lettuce - Never...should!
* Grapes (imported) - Never...will do better
* Pears - Never
* Spinach - Never
* Potatoes - Never...will start

From the article:
Milk - Always
Beef - Sometimes
Baby Food - TOO LATE AICK
Chicken - Usually
Apples - Never - will start
Potatoes - Never - will start
Ketchup - I should have just because of the HFCS! Going to Trader Joes ASAP!
Peanut Butter - We don't eat too much, but what we have is all natural. Guess we should move to organic.

My biggest concerns are HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup), hormones in milk, chicken, beef and pesticides on veggies. Another concern regarding our food source is MSG (Monosodium Glutamate). Tell me your feelings about organics and whole foods. What are some of the ways you cut costs in order to purchase these foods? Or do you think its all just a food sham?

I do have to admit when I buy Driscolls Organic Strawberries right next to the regular ones...I'm thinking am I a sucker and are they REALLY REALLY organic? Or were they GROWN this close to each other.




1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hey, Allyson - I'm doing the same thing. I started by cutting out HFCS, and have pretty much eliminated everything "white" - switching to whole wheat pasta/bread and brown rice. I'm off the MSG wagon, too - and hating that I've abandoned my fave Chinese delivery place.

I've noticed that the organic food I've switched to has more...taste. So, I eat less. I don't think it's a sham, actually. And conventional chicken seems to be shot up with so much antibiotic that I can taste it.

Once I get in the routine of shopping organic, I'll figure out how to cut costs, but now I'm just trying to get the crap out of my diet.

Dear Mom,

Prelude:  I feel a little lost in this world.  March 21st 2019 my mom was given a "death" sentence of Pancreatic Cancer.  They tol...